Tuesday 27 September 2016

A short visit to the centre of Ireland

Athlone is the centre of Ireland isn't it? Or is my geography off?! 

Anyhow a few weeks back we had a mini "staycation" in Athlone / Glasson.

First stop was Wineport Lodge, Glasson.

They upgraded our room to a lake view room with a balcony which was a lovely surprise on arrival. Huge bed, huge shower and bath. Then the views over the lake are just glorious. Even in grey weather. 



We had a drink in the Bollinger lounge before dinner. I had a French martini. It was super and far too easy to drink! 


They brought us the menus and was able to order before even going to our table in the restaurant. They then came back to show us through to our table when our starter almost ready. 

We were shown through to our window table. Fabulous views of the lake at sunset. Just breathtaking. The photo doesn't do it justice! 


To the food. We shared the seafood platter. My favourite had to be the prawns Marie rose (retro I know but still a firm favourite) 



For my main I ordered striploin steak with sweet potato fries and Bearnaise sauce. The fries were served in a cute little pail. The steak was well seasoned and cooked how I like it.


For dessert I chose the chocolate tasting plate. I loved the cookie and cream ice-cream. 


The following morning we chose to have breakfast in our room. I went for the Irish breakfast with pink grapefruit juice and coffee. Great coffee and loved the black pudding. 


Last time we were here was almost 10 years ago. It was far more expensive then from what I remember. Sorry I left it so long. Definitely won't leave it as long next time!! Didn't try hiring a BMW bike or their hot tubs. That's for next time :)

We did some "exploring" but the weather was so rainy it was done by car!

That evening we went to Athlone. We had a couple of drinks in Sean's Bar before dinner. You just have to go here and see the sawdust on the floor for yourself :)

For dinner we booked Kin Khao Thai... It had to be the Best Thai food I've had in a long long time!! 

Starter I had won ton wrappers that came with a fab plum dipping sauce. 


I also got to try some of Sean's mango and prawn salad.


My main was Thai green chicken curry. Lovely kick to it. There was peas in it. I thought they were a v nice addition. I loved it when the chap that looked after us offered more rice to mop up the last of my sauce. 


The crockery is v pretty. 

Had a glass of white wine with our starter then red wine with the main. (Funnily enough we had the same a couple of days later in an Italian restaurant in Dublin :) )

I tried two scoops of their homemade coconut ice-cream for dessert. It was DELICIOUS!!


Lovely setting and I'd definitely go back. If you're in Athlone make this a must go to place :)

Next morning we went for breakfast at Loaves and Fishes.

I had the muffin with bacon and sausage with a coffee. It was really SOOOO yum and there was no scrimping on the breakfast goodies :)


The lady that looked after that was super. Couldn't have been any nicer. 

Such a nice little midweek staycation!


No comments:

Post a Comment